A Few Words
Uniformity speaks nothing and does nothing. Nowadays, you have to step out from the crowd in any possible way. Having a unique, fresh and different software product is possible. Websites, web shops, mobile applications and all software products can be designed on your request, bringing you the best custom software development solution. Do not satisfy with the existing, think outside of the box. Find a good business partner that will fulfil all your needs. The right software solution can change everything, on better.
Off-the-shelf Vs. Custom Made
Custom software development means designing software applications following clients’ specific requests. The custom software solution is opposite to an off-the-shelf product because it addresses client’s needs precisely to build a tailor-made solution, while for an already finished product the customer needs to find a way to fit it in. A completed and prepared software solution contains a package of software products available to a broad audience with similar needs. While an off-the-shelf product is available to everyone, custom solution means creating, designing and building especially for one’s business requirements.
What is Custom Software Development?
Custom means creating a software product tailored to a single distinct entity for only one company to use at will and benefit from it. It is not just enough to build a custom software product – building a good one is crucial. A good custom software product is a mixture of different technologies, products, and processes. Each of them has some particular function that is necessary for solving a problem. These products interact together and create one big system. However, they do not need to have anything in common: different companies might develop and maintain them, with various technologies and in a different time.
When building custom software, implementation needs, company’s infrastructure, and branding have to be a priority, so that the developed solution can work exclusively for that organisation. When you are making a decision on what kind of software product to choose, you should ask yourself if your requirements are general or specific. If they are general and you can solve all the problems with existing software, go for the already developed solution. If your needs are unique, choose to build an entirely new, custom solution.
Advantages of Custom Software Development
In every business, cost managing is challenging. It is always questioned whether to invest in long-term solutions or to choose a less expensive, but also a less efficient approach. When it comes to software issues, build or buy is always a dilemma.
Many companies decide to purchase an off-the-shelf product, for a start. However, often, in some short time, they realise that this is not a good fit and that starting with a custom made solution would’ve been much more efficient and better for the entire business. Everyday routine is different for every single company, and these routines can be managed quickly and efficiently with a tailor-made software. In the end, a custom developed solution would pay off, and the business increase would cover the invested expenses.
If custom made software solution can provide an advantage over your competitors or if you are building a large business with the intention even to grow more, that is the situation when you should go for custom software development. There are a few advantages of a custom made software product:
- Custom developed software will meet all of your requests. The off-the-shelf product will not do the same because it is designed for a broad range of companies. If your business has some specific needs, custom made software will meet them.
- When you have an off-the-shelf product, you can not change its functionalities. It will be hard to add new or subtract existing features. A custom solution is very flexible, and you can always upgrade it.
- All of your software programs need to collaborate and work together to build your business’ efficiency. If you create your software, programs can integrate one to another and work well together.
Disadvantages of Custom Software Development
In most cases, a custom made software will better suit your companies needs. However, think twice before making a decision about building an entirely new and unique product. Smaller businesses can adapt well with an already existing software. There are several reasons to use already known solutions instead of custom made.
- Creating a custom software solution is like building a house – expensive and long. It requires a lot of energy, resources and time. An off-the-shelf product is cheaper than a custom one, and choosing it will save you a significant amount of money.
- Technical support when building custom software needs to be strong and reliable. Many development skills are necessary for this process, and if there is a lack of them, a better solution is to take an already existing product.
- If you lack time, start with a canned product. Building a complex custom solution will take a significant amount of time. Do not start developing a custom solution if there will not be enough time to finish it.
- Yes, custom made software is the best fit, but there are great off-the-shelf products. There is, and there will always be. Use canned software solution that will satisfy all your needs if your business is typical and it does not request special features.
- If you are in a business that does not require the best and newest software technologies, there is no reason for custom developing. If software is not a factor that will help you gain a competitive advantage or that will attract more customers, choose existing software product that will take less time and money.
How Can Custom Software Help Your Company?
It is only logical that software grows and changes with your company. If your business is dynamic, the software cannot remain static. Integrating custom made software solution can help increase your business in numerous ways.
First, it can increase the productivity of your team. A program that works primarily for your business’ needs will enable your team to work faster and more efficient. Time will not be wasted if one software program unites multiple technology platforms necessary for business flow. An integrated platform will bring efficiency because all the data is in one place, and there is no need for switching between different websites.
Second, custom made software product gives you an advantage over the competition. By designing tailor-made solution just for you and your business, it is easy to step out and be a leader in your area. If using the same off-the-shelf product as your competition, there is nothing that sets you apart from them. Invest in advantage and cherish it.
Third, when technologies are changing, you need to keep up with them. If you have a team of experts that maintain your software, this will be easy. The reaction time is faster, and when your business needs change, or your industry evolves, it will be simple to catch up. Quick shifting technology strategies can make the difference in market dominance.
Speaking of custom software development, it is a frequent and justified dilemma whether to purchase a from-the-shelf product or to build one from the start. Despite spending all the money and time, a custom software solution is something that is worth investment. If your business has the intention to spread and grow, and your operational requirements are specific, think about a custom solution. It will fulfil your organisational needs and improve user workflow.
Custom software product specifically tailored to your company’s needs will focus on efficiency and scalability. As a result, it will help you make a difference in the market, to gain a competitive advantage and expand your business. Remember, investing in custom solution means investing in the future.